Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cherry Almond Oatmeal

I have been on a big oatmeal kick! It is extremely nutritious but even more so for new mothers when it comes to feeding their little ones.
I am not a fan of the packaged oatmeal, but I love it when I can make it myself before I leave for work or even at work! Yes that's right sometime I eat my breakfast as soon as I get to work - but that is what a working mother does.
I am going to share some of my favorite Oatmeal recipes with you starting this week!
First recipe is ....

CHERRY ALMOND OATMEAL

1/2 cup of old fashioned oats ( I decided on old fashioned because I can buy in bulk and I use them for several recipes including meatloaf, meatballs and oatmeal cookies)
1 cup of cherries (frozen or fresh)
1 tablespoon of brown sugar (light or dark)
3/4 cup of almond milk (if you don't have this on hand you can improvise (use 3/4 cup of skim milk or water even if you have milk allergies - and put in 1 tsp of almond extract)
Option - 2 tbsp. of slivered almonds

Put everything in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or simmer on the stove on low for 5 minutes.

I do mine in the microwave because honestly I just don't have time and to me it tastes the same - also I can do it at work.

TIME SAVING TIP: Make a sandwich bag of oats, cherries, brown sugar and slivered almonds on Sunday for each day you would like oatmeal for breakfast during the week.
You can throw that bag in your purse on your way to work and keep a bowl at work to microwave your breakfast - - super easy and you are eating healthy!


If you must grab some oatmeal on the way to work - Starbucks and McDonalds have delicious brown sugar and maple oatmeal - but it is a splurge!

Next Recipe.... Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment